Guide to making a submission to the review of the Product Stewardship Act 2011 (Cth)
This guide is designed to help people make a submission to the Review of the Product Stewardship Act. All submissions are due by 29th June 2018. For more information about the Review, and AELA's Submission to the Review, please click here.
- Visit http://www.environment.gov.au/protection/national-waste-policy/product-stewardship/consultation-review-ps-act-incl-ntcrs to download and read the consultation paper for the review.
- Your submission can be as short or long as you like. You do not need legal or technical knowledge to comment. We offer the following suggestions and points.
- Try to make comments that are framed within the terms of reference in the consultation paper. You do not have to address all of the terms of reference. You may also include issues that you feel are important but have been excluded from the terms of reference.
- Briefly introduce yourself and identify your interest in the review. For example:
- Identify 1-2 examples when you were frustrated that a product failed sooner than you expected and any inconveniences that arose from that scenario (for example, wasted time and money having to buy a new product, inability to repair, discarded the product earlier than you intended, uncertainty in enforcing your consumer rights for a quality product).
- Identify any concerns you have about the impact products have on the environment and/or people.
- State what you would like the Product Stewardship Act to do. For example, it could be as simple as stating that only durable products should be sold in Australia, that there should be more accessible and affordable options to repair and/upgrade products.
- Where possible, refer to reports, data, articles, scholarly papers and any other information to strengthen your submission. Cite these references in a footnote.
- You can include the recommendations that AELA is proposing.
- A final copy of AELA’s Submission will be available on this website in late June, please contact us via email if you want to receive a copy when it’s available.
- Alternatively, you can wait until our submission is published on our website in June and, then in your submission, state that you support our recommendations (or some of our recommendations).
- The Department of the Environment and Energy encourage comments to be made on a submission template which can be downloaded at http://www.environment.gov.au/protection/national-waste-policy/product-stewardship/consultation-review-ps-act-incl-ntcrs.
- Electronic submissions are encouraged but a submission can also be posted.
A submission may be emailed to email@example.com.
Postal submissions should arrive by the due date and be addressed to:
Attn: The Director
Stewardship and Waste Section
Environment Standards Division
Department of the Environment and Energy
GPO Box 787
Canberra ACT 2601
- Submissions close on 29 June 2018.