The Australian Earth Laws Centre (AELC) is an initiative of the Australian Earth Laws Alliance (AELA).
The AELC is Australia's leading network of researchers, practitioners and community leaders who are working to create and promote Earth centred law and regulation, including (but not limited to):
- the theory and practice of Earth jurisprudence
- Earth laws and Indigenous First Laws
- ecological law and governance
- rights of nature
- the law of ecocide
- Greenprints and Earth-centred bioregional law
AELC works to connect researchers and community groups who are exploring and implementing Earth-centred law and governance. Part of this work involves supporting working groups who are developing innovative legal projects.
Current working groups include:
- Ecocide Laws Australia
- Local Councils and Rights of Nature
Please visit AELA's Events page for updates about webinars hosted by AELC
- The AELC hosts a biennial Earth Laws conference in Australia, and our next conference will be held in October 2022. We also hold webinars in collaboration with our partners each year - please visit AELA's Events Page for details.
- Read about our 2020 Conference
- Visit our Past Events webpage for other past events
How to connect with the AELC
- If you are a researcher and would like to share your research with our networks and connect with other researchers and practitioners in Australia and around the world, please email us and join our network: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you or others in your community wish to engage with innovative Earth laws, develop your own campaign for Rights of Nature or Community Eco-Governance, please get in touch anytime: email@example.com
AELA is a founding member of the Ecological Law and Governance Association (ELGA) and the Global Alliance for the Rights of Nature and is a member of the UN Harmony with Nature Network.
Push to give our natural world the legal right to thrive
November 30, 2022by Mornington Peninsula MagazineRead more...
When recently elected Deputy Mayor Debra Mar was a Mornington Peninsula Shire councillor, she noticed a rising anxiety in people as she listened to her community, particularly ...
Make ecocide an international crime and other legal ideas to help save the planet
November 29, 2022Read more...
The world has reached an acute point in the “highway to climate hell”. Talks at Cop27 barely achieved anything, despite the fact that almost ...
This movement wants to make harming the planet an international crime
November 23, 2022
The Stop Ecocide campaign aims to criminalize destroying the environment – and save our collective home in the process.
Growing up, UK environmental activist Read more...
Nature’s Rights in Generation Ocean Learning Programme
November 22, 2022AELA's National Convenor, Dr Michelle Maloney, has contributed to the development of a new, secondary school, learning program by The Ocean Race called Generation Ocean.Read more...