This webpage contains details about all of AELA's past events. Please click on the links below to see a copy of presentations, notes, flyers and programs for any of the events. If there are any past events you're interested in receiving further information about, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
PLEASE CLICK ON THE HOTLINKS BELOW TO ACCESS NOTES AND PRESENTATIONS ABOUT PAST EVENTS
EVENTS IN 2018
- March 16 – Public Seminar, Blue Mountains, NSW: "Earth Laws and Rights of Nature". See more information or download the event flyer.
- May 19-20 – RenewFest, Mullumbimby, NSW. AELA is hosting the Biodiversity stream at this fantastic festival. Visit the Renew Fest website.
- June 15-18 – Earth Arts Creatives Retreat, Chenrezig Buddhist Institute, Sunshine Coast Queensland. More information visit our AELA Earth Arts website.
- July 14-15 – North Queensland New Economy Symposium, Magnetic Island - details are available on the NENA website.
- August 25 – Wild Law Seminar - Cooroora Institute, Sunshine Coast – This lively one day interactive workshop gives participants the opportunity to explore developments in wild laws and earth jurisprudence in Australia, and around thew world, with Dr Michelle Maloney.
EVENTS IN 2017
- 23rd and 24th November, 2017, Brisbane - INSPIRING EARTH ETHICS: LINKING VALUES AND ACTION, National Conference. This conference will bring together people working in the fields of ethics, indigenous knowledge systems, environmental education/science, eco-psychology, deep ecology, the arts and other fields, to explore practical ways to build Earth-centred ethics in modern societies. For more information, please click here.
- November 27 to December 1st, 2017, 1 week Summer Intensive Course. Griffith University Law School: "Wild law: the theory and practice of Earth jurisprudence". Please click here for more information.
- Brisbane – 21 November 2017, AELA and QUT
- Sydney – 9 November 2017, AELA, UTS and UNSW
- Gold Coast – 30 August 2017, c0-hosted with Southern Cross University
- Melbourne – 11 August 2017, AELA and CREEL/Melbourne Law School
EVENTS IN 2016
- Monday 5th December to Friday 9th December, Summer Intensive Course, Griffith University Law School: "Wild law: the theory and practice of Earth jurisprudence". Please click here for more information.
- Saturday 3rd December, 4pm to 6pm, Northey Street City Farm, Brisbane "Exploring Indigenous Spirituality". Please click here for the flyer and for the details about how to book your place.
- 22 October 2016. Rights of Nature Tribunal Australia, held in Brisbane. This one-day citizen's tribunal will hear cases presented by citizens and Earth lawyers concerned about the destruction of ecosystems and the Earth community in Australia. Australia's RON Tribunal is a Regional Chamber of the International Rights of Nature Tribunal. For more information, please click here.
- 20-21 October, AELA Conference, Brisbane. "The Future of Environmental Law: politics, reform and community activism". For information about our 2016 Conference, please click here. For information about our previous conferences, please click here.
- September/October - RONA16. To celebrate AELA's Rights of Nature Citizens Tribunal on 22 October (details below), we're hosting a national network of creative events called 'RONA16' (Rights of Nature Australia 2016). Everyone's welcome to get involved. For more information, please click here.
- 28th September, Brisbane Powerhouse - Opening Night, Earth Arts Exhibition - 'Plenty'. This is AELA's major art exhibition in Brisbane, to celebrate RONA16. More details available soon.
- 16-17 August, "Building the new economy: enterprise, activism and social change", 2 day forum in Sydney. This conference is being co-hosted by the University of NSW. Please click here for more information.
- 24th August, "Caring for Country: Learning from First Nations people" - Evening seminar, Avid Reader, West End, Brisbane - 5.30 to 7.30pm. Please click here for more information and a copy of the flyer. This seminar is part of AELA's "Future Dreaming" Program, and is a side event to the First Nations Traditional Knowledge Conference, being held in Brisbane from 23-26 August.
- 8th June, "Earth Laws and the Rights of Nature - the work of the Australian Earth Laws Alliance" - Half day workshop at The Archer, Sunshine Coast, Queensland. Contact AELA for more information.
- 27th May, "Let's Talk About Consumption", free 1 day workshop in Adelaide. Please click here for the program and information about how to book your place. For information about AELA's national workshop and publication series please click here.
- 26th May, Adelaide - Earth Arts meet-up, 6.30pm-7.30pm. Join us for a chat about 'RONA16' - AELA's national network of creative events to celebrate the Rights of Nature. Please email for the meet up details: email@example.com
- 26th May, "Building the Sharing Economy in South Australia", afternoon workshop in Adelaide (2pm to 5pm). Please click here for a copy of the flyer.
- 20th May, "Exploring Earth Laws, Earth Democracy and the Rights of Nature" - free evening seminar in Toowoomba, Queensland (7pm to 8.30pm). For further information, please click here.
- 14 May, Brisbane "A Walk With A Difference in Toohey Forest" - morning bushwalk. For more information, please click here. This bush walk was part of our 'Exploring Ecospirituality' series and was run by WiseEarth Education and AELA.
- 6th March, "Exploring Earth Laws, Earth Democracy and the Rights of Nature", free workshop in Orbost, Victoria. For further information please click here for the flyer.
- 4 March, "Let's Talk About Consumption" - 1 day workshop, Melbourne - Room 104, Melbourne Law School, 185 Pelham Street. For information about this workshop, including the full program, please click here. For information about AELA's national workshop and publication series please click here.
EVENTS IN 2015
- 13-15 November, AELA's "Worker's Retreat" - Sunshine Coast, Queensland. From Friday 13 to Sunday 15th November, AELA hosted a retreat for our fabulous volunteers. For more information, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 14 November, AELA’s 2015 AGM and Social Day, Chenrezig Buddhist Institute, Sunshine Coast, Queensland. For information about the AGM, including the program, please click here.
- Tuesday 27 October, Brisbane, 6pm - Griffith University - The significance of the Pope's Encyclical. Please click here for information about the event.
- 5th September, Blue Mountains - Cosmic Walk, co-hosted by Pagaian Cosmology. Please click here for further information.
- Thursday 10th September, Adelaide - AELA hosted a multi-disciplinary workshop at the 2015 Sustainable Engineers Conference called "The role of engineers in creating regulations for a sustainable future". For more information about the SENG Conference, please click here and for more information about AELA's workshop at the Conference, please email email@example.com
- Friday 28 August - "Let's Talk About Consumption" - 1 Day Workshop in Brisbane. For an overview of the workshop, and a copy of all the powerpoint presentations from the day please click here.
- Thursday 23rd July, Sydney - Building the Sharing Economy in NSW - Half Day Workshop. This free half day workshop was held at the Brown Street Community Hall, Newtown, Sydney from 1pm to 5pm. Please click here for a copy of the flyer and program.
- Friday 24th July, Sydney - Sharing Law Roundtable. This free round table discussion was held in the Law School Board Room, Room 203, UNSW Law School, Sydney, from 9.30am to 12.30pm. Please click here for a copy of the flyer . FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT AELA'S SHARING LAW WORK, PLEASE CLICK HERE
- Friday 19th June, Sydney - Earth Arts Meet Up - Evening social drinks and discussion. 5.30pm to 7.30pm, Cornerstone Café, Carriageworks, 245 Wilson Street (cnr Codrington St), Eveleigh NSW 2015
- Tuesday 23 June, Brisbane - Evening seminar - "Nurturing a Spiritual Approach to Climate Change". This seminar was part of our 'Exploring Ecospirituality' series. In Brisbane, this series is co-hosted with the Griffith University Centre for Interfaith & Cross Cultural Dialogue, Wise Earth Education and Earthlink. Please click here for the flyer.
- Friday 26th June, 2015 , Brisbane - AELA's 2nd Annual "Law and Governance Clinic for Earth Friendly Organisations". AELA hosted a one day interactive workshop, to help community organisations and social enterprises connect with legal, governance and other support services in Brisbane and South East Queensland. For a copy of the presentations and notes from the workshop, please click here and please click here for a copy of the flyer for the event.
- 17 March, FREE Evening Seminar, Brisbane - 'Exploring Ecospirituality' - This event was part of Harmony Week celebrations in Brisbane. Please click here for the flyer.
EVENTS IN 2014
- 6th December, Brisbane - AELA Christmas Party. Around 60 people came together from 3pm to 6pm at Lock N Load Bistro, West End, for drinks, nibblies and a celebration of 2014. Please click here for more information
- 11th December, Brisbane - Journey of the Universe: Film Night and Discussion – Centre for Interfaith & Cultural Dialogue, Griffith University. Hosted as part of AELA’s ‘Exploring Ecospirituality’ series. Please click here for more information
- 13th December, Workshop Byron Bay – AELA held a community workshop to discuss how community groups can work towards making local laws that assert community and natures rights. For full details please click here.
- 12 November, Sydney - Wild Law Judgments Project Workshop, 10am to 1pm, University of New South Wales. This workshop was open to everyone interested in participating in the Wild Law Judgments writing project, and featured opening remarks by the Honourable Justice Brian Preston SC, Chief Justice of the NSW Land and Environment Court.
- 20 - 24 November, Community and Nature's Rights workshops and project meetings - Perth, Margaret River and other communities in Western Australia.
- 22 November, Perth - “Exploring Ecospirituality” Workshop – Join us for this wonderful workshop, featuring local speakers from secular and multi-faith communities in Perth.
- 9 November 2014 - AELA presentation at Thomas Berry Colloquium, Melbourne
- 6 November 2014 - Evening seminar, Melbourne - 'Should rivers have legal rights?'
- 31 October 2014 - Food Justice Symposium, Brisbane (Bridging the divide between urban and rural food justice) - AELA, 'Bridging the Divide' and the Griffith University EcoCentre hosted this important event, bringing farmers, foodies and food movement activists together for critical discussions about the future of our food in Queensland.
- 23 October 2014 - Earth laws and regional community environmentalism, Byron Bay, NSW - AELA, EDO NSW and Southern Cross University hosted this fascinating afternoon of discussions about Earth laws and regional community activism.
- 17 October 2014 - Earth laws and governance workshop, Adelaide - AELA co-hosted a morning workshop exploring Earth laws, rights of nature and indigenous Earth governance. Speakers included representatives from AELA, EDO SA, local indigenous custodians and the University of Adelaide.
- 15 October 2014 - Rights of Nature Tribunal, Brisbane (Is the Great Barrier Reef a victim of Ecocide?) - AELA hosted Australia's first Rights of Nature Tribunal in Brisbane. This Tribunal was a Regional Chamber of the International Ethics Tribunal for the Rights of Nature, and part of the International 'Earth Rights Days of Action'.
- 10 October 2014 - Building the Sharing Economy Workshop and Sharing Law Roundtable, Brisbane - AELA hosted two half-day workshops at Southbank.
- 12 September 2014 - Half day Symposium, Sydney - In September, AELA hosted a half day symposium on “New trends in environmental law and governance” – Keynote Speaker: Judge Preston, Chief Justice of the Land and Environment Court. For further information about the symposium, please click here for the flyer and program.
- 25 July 2014 - Exploring Ecospirituality Workshop, Brisbane - In July, AELA co-hosted a workshop with Griffith University’s Centre for Interfaith & Cultural Dialogue to explore ecocentrism and ecospirituality from indigenous, Buddhist, Islamic, Pagan, Christian and secular points of view. 100 people joined us for the presentations and the day also featured open space and small group discussions. For more information, including a copy of the flyer and program, please click here.
- early July - 7, 8, 9 - Community and nature’s rights workshops – Perth, Margaret River, Jarrahdale - In July, AELA hosted a series of workshops with the Western Australian Forest Alliance (WAFA) investigating the strategies local communities can adopt to block unwanted natural resource exploitation from mining, coal seam gas and forestry. For more information, including copies of the flyers from each workshop, please click here.
- 4 July 2014 - AELA’s Law and Governance Clinic, Brisbane - In July, AELA hosted its first “Law and Governance Clinic” for Earth Friendly Organisations in Brisbane. The session was attended by 85 people from a range of organisations interested in legal business structures, the sharing economy, DGR and other taxation issues for not-for-profit organisations, insurance, legal services in SEQ and conflict management. Please click here for further information about the Clinic, including copies of the flyer and powerpoint presentations.
- May 2014 - AELA-Voiceless Seminars - In May, AELA and Voiceless co-hosted a series of seminars in Sydney, Hobart and Brisbane, called ‘Protecting our evolutionary companions: do our laws measure up?”. The seminars brought together academics, activists, legal practitioners, students and regulators to explore and discuss the current frameworks and challenges for our legal system to protect the animals that live with us on Earth. For further information about the three seminars, including copies of the flyers, please click here.
- April 2014 - Environmental Justice Symposium, Brisbane - In April, AELA and Griffith University’s Urban Research Program hosted a 1 day Environmental Justice Symposium at Griffith University Ecocentre (Nathan). The aim of the symposium was to bring together academics, activists, legal practitioners, students and regulators, to explore Environmental Justice in Queensland and to identify opportunities for future collaborative projects. For an overview of the symposium and a copy of the flyer, click here.
- March 2014 - Polly Higgins 'Ecocide' Lectures - In March, UK Barrister Polly Higgins participated in a series of lectures regarding her campaign to establish 'Ecocide' as a crime. Polly is also an acclaimed author, she attended lectures in Adelaide, Brisbane, Sydney and Byron Bay. For an overview of her lectures and copy of the flyer click here.
- February 2014 - Janelle Orsi Lectures and Workshops - In February 2014, AELA, UNSW and Vic EDO hosted Janelle Orsi’s visit to Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. Janelle is a US Attorney and Director of the Sustainable Economies Law Center in California. She gave lectures and workshops about how to build sustainable communities by supporting the sharing economy, with a particular focus on the role of law in supporting the sharing economy. An overview of her lectures and workshops, together with copies of PowerPoint presentations, can be found here.
EVENTS IN 2013
- 4 & 5 October 2013 - CELDF Workshop, Perth - AELA hosted two events in Perth in early October featuring Thomas Linzey and Mari Margil from the USA’s Community Environmental Legal Defence Fund (CELDF).
- 2 October 2013 - CELDF Public Lecture, Melbourne - AELA and the EDO Victoria hosted a public lecture by Thomas Linzey and Mari Margil from CELDF. An audio recording of their presentation is available by clicking here (http://www.edovic.org.au/blog/legal-frameworks-rights-nature).
- 30 September 2013 - CELDF Workshop, Brisbane - AELA hosted a one day workshop in Brisbane, titled ‘Finding New Ways to Protect Our Local Ecosystems: Exploring Community and Nature’s Rights’. The workshop featured Thomas Linzey and Mari Margil from CELDF, Nati Greene from Fundacion Pachamama, Drew Hutton and Annie Kia from the Lock the Gate Alliance and Aidan Ricketts from Southern Cross University.
- 27-29 September 2013 - Wild Law Conference, Brisbane - AELA hosted Australia’s fourth Wild Law Conference titled ‘Living within our ecological limits: law and governance to nurture the Earth Community’.
- 18 May 2013 - Workshop, Alice Springs - The Australian Wild Law Alliance and the Arid Lands Environment Centre (ALEC) hosted a morning workshop in Alice Springs on Saturday 18th may. The event was supported by the Environmental Defender’s Office Northern Territory (EDO NT) and the Law Society NT Public Purposes Trust.
- 17 May 2013 - Workshop, Darwin - Exploring New Trends in Environmental Law and Governance: Earth Jurisprudence and Rights of Nature.
- 4 May 2013 - Wild Law & Art/Science Incubator, Sydney - Performing Arts Group “De Quincey and Co”, worked with AELA to host a 1 day workshop in Sydney. Artists, scientists, producers and experts from a range of different fields met to learn more about Wild Law and discuss the implications of its key ideas and themes to their own work.
- 2 May 2013 - Wild Law Workshop, Sydney - AELA hosted a Wild Law Workshop in Sydney on Thursday May 2nd, at the University of Sydney.
- 1 May 2013 - Evening Seminar, Sydney - Evening seminar at the Chapel by the Sea, Bondi Beach titled 'Should Mother Nature have legal rights?'
- 9 February 2013 - Wild Law and Rights of Nature Seminar, Perth - AELA held a half day public seminar held at the Canning River Environmental Centre.
EVENTS IN 2009 - 2012
- 30 November 2012 - Workshop, Adelaide - A one day Wild Law workshop was held in Adelaide, in partnership with the Environment Defender’s Office South Australia.
- 23 November 2012 - Environmental Justice Symposium, Brisbane - On 30th November 2012 AELA hosted an Environmental Justice Symposium in Brisbane, in partnership with the Queensland Environmental Defender’s Office (Qld EDO) and the Queensland University of Technology (QUT).
- 17 August 2012 - Workshop, Melbourne - A one day Wild Law workshop was held in Melbourne, in partnership with the Environment Defender’s Office Victoria.
- September 2011 - Wild Law Conference, Brisbane - AELA hosted Australia’s Third Wild Law Conference titled 'Earth Jurisprudence: building theory and practice' at Griffith University.
- October 2010 - Wild Law Conference, Wollongong - The second Australian conference on Wild Law and Earth Jurisprudence was organised in 2010 as a dialogue between the Sandon Point Aboriginal Tent Embassy and the University of Wollongong.
- September 2009 - Wild Law Conference, Adelaide - Participants from each state and territory in Australia gathered in the Adelaide Hills for Australia’s first conference on Wild Law.